Wednesday, August 19, 2009


Let’s start over! Yesterday I had a former student write that she wished it was still her birthday. I couldn’t help myself but write back that “I wished it was mine too, 35 years ago”. The interesting thing here is that I think at one point or another (in each of our lives) we have wished we were able to start over. Undo what was done and start a new.

We’ve all had a longing for a new start, New Life, Fresh Beginnings. We worry about the things we have done, the things we didn’t do, jobs, friends, money, all kinds of things, driving us to grasp for new life. Jesus once told his disciples, “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”[book of Luke 12:25] Jesus goes on to say “For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and all these things will be given to you as well.” [Luke 12:30-31]

Speaking of new life, I was in the delivery room when all of my children were born; I had never before experienced such joy, as watching my daughters take their first breath as they entered this world. I have recently been reminded of these moments in my life, when my eldest daughter (Allison) gave birth to my first grandbaby (Keegan)(see the attached picture). There is nothing more precious than new birth.

I have always found new life to be the greatest gift God has ever given me. Not physical, but spiritual life; Life through Christ Jesus. “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves His child as well. This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.” [book of 1 John 5:1 & 4] It’s interesting that a faith in Jesus can allow us to start over with God and overcome the world.

No comments: