Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December 2009 BPFJ

Funny, how the things of the world can stress you out. It is hard to live in America today and not have times when you really feel completely stressed out. All kinds of things can get to you; the economy (jobs, the lack there of, investments, or the lack there of, where and how to spend what resources you have), relationships, politics, skewed morays and values of a growing number of people in our society who think very differently from you, or corruption and degradation spewing from the many types of media each of us is exposed to every day. It is no wonder Christmas time has been, in recent years, one of the most tragic times of the year, with increases in domestic violence and suicide.

Recently I was asked to host a major event, to raise money for scriptures for the world. When I started planning for the event I set a goal of $3000, with the expectation of around 50 people in attendance; the pressure was on. Caterer, speakers, music, and more all had to be planned and arranged. While others scoffed at my plan, with comments like- “you can only expect maybe 20 people to attend”, and “$3000, you’ll be lucky if you don’t owe that much when you’re finished”, I continued to move forward. I was constantly reminded that in the book of Hebrews God’s words are- “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you”, and that “The Lord is my helper: I will not be afraid.” Knowing that the Lord was with me, I pressed on. After many E-mail messages, mailed letters, phone calls, personal contacts, and rehearsals, the day of the event was quickly arriving. The day before, I had 37 prepaid reservations and 20 verbal commitments. A Christian brother had told me that I should “plan enough meals for all who plan to attend and a few extra”. When I contacted the caterer to give him the final numbers, I said we’ll have 62 meals; you talk about stress. Many things were running through my mind; how am I going to pay for all those meals if only 37 people show up; even if enough people show up, is it even possible to reach the lofty monetary goal that was set out; not to mention one of my musicians was down on his back with a bad case of the flu the previous day. Yet, this thought echoed in my head and drew me back into prayer- God will never leave you, nor forsake you. I must admit I spent many hours in prayer, during the preparation for this event.

The day of the event finally arrived. All of the participants arrived, including all of the musicians. The 62 meal arrived. Gradually, so did all of the invited guests, as well as many unexpected ones. In fact, when the final count was taken 62 people had come to Birthday Party For Jesus event. When a final count was taken for the money raised for scriptures, it totaled over $4800; to God be the glory.

Jesus quote- “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this little thing, why do you worry about the rest?” – Luke 11:25-26

No comments: