Friday, July 29, 2011

A Time For Prayer

Over the past few weeks we have been making our annual summer cross-country trip. This year our travels took us to Lorton, Virginia, Rochester, New York, Wildwood Crest, New Jersey, then back to Lorton before returning home to Venice, Florida. We had a wonderful relaxing time, truly enjoyed our family and friends. While staying at the home of my sister (Vicki) and her husband Larry DeWolf (a hospice chaplain), I was introduced to a pastor/author Craig Groeschel.



One of Craig’s books, “The Christian Atheist”, has been my summer reflective reading. I am not sure how accurate its title is, but this book has caused me to deeply look at my own faith. Though my faith has not changed, I believe a little introspection once in a while is a good thing. I encourage anyone who believes in God, but feels separated from Him because of events in this world to read Groeschel’s word of encouragement, then go back to the scriptures and read just how much God loves you.



When reading, I was particularly drawn to chapter 4 “When You Believe in God but Not in Prayer”. Prayer is more than just a form of communication, between you and the God of the universe; it is a way of humbly sharing yourself with one who loved you first. In chapter 4 Groeschel sites reasons why some people who believe in God don’t pray; “they aren’t good enough, don’t know how to pray, or that God won’t answer their prayers”. Let me assure you God will always answer prayers of His children, not always the way we think He should. As for being good enough; none of us is good enough, but for His mercy. God loves us in our imperfection, so even if you have never prayed before open up and share. As Groeschel would say “Talk to God about whatever is on your heart. Cry to Him if you need to. If you’re hurting, unload on Him. He can handle it. If you feel alone, ask Him to comfort you with His presence. If you’ve been away for a while, tell Him you’re ready to come home. If you’re angry, let it rip.”



I want to thank Larry for sharing this book with me and his home during the time I was in Rochester. He is a wonderful brother-in law, and an outstanding Sunday school teacher. I enjoyed sitting in on his class prior to Sunday services at Spencerport Bible Church. I also want to thank my son-in-law Phil for allowing us to stay at his home during our time in Virginia. We enjoyed attending church services at Fort Belvoir.



This was enjoying family around the outdoor fire.



These are two very important reasons for our Virginia stops;

Keegan and Garrett, my grandsons.

No comments: